- The members of the Central Committee of YesCymru have collectively resigned and stood down from their roles with immediate effect.
- The decision has not been made lightly, but is taken in the best interests of the organisation. Harassment directed towards Central Committee members, that goes far beyond social media posts, has taken an incredible toll on mental wellbeing and can no longer be tolerated.
- The announcement comes with the opportunity to enable a new Central Committee to be elected at a forthcoming Extraordinary General Meeting, which will oversee the next stages of YesCymru’s development following the phenomenal growth and interest in the organisation since its launch.
- In order to safeguard the continuing operations of YesCymru until this new Central Committee is elected, an independent, third party firm of accountants has been instructed by the outgoing committee, prior to their resignations, to oversee limited day to day operations of the organisation. This includes oversight of finances, and will ensure the safe and prudent management of the affairs of YesCymru until a new Central Committee is in place.
- The outgoing Chair of the Central Committee, Sarah Rees, said: “The accountancy firm will focus on helping the Gweithgor and YesCymru staff to organise the forthcoming EGM and electing a new Central Committee. This decision has been taken in the best interests of the organisation and its members. It enables a totally clean break from the past and provides a clean start for the newly-elected Central Committee in the autumn, while protecting all the good that has been created.”
- She added: “YesCymru now has 18,000 members. It only officially launched five years ago. It is a fantastic success story, and testament to the hard work of ordinary members in growing the demand for Welsh independence. The decision taken today gives the new Central Committee, with the support of all 18,000 members, the opportunity to take YesCymru to the next level.”
- “I would encourage all members of YesCymru to attend the EGM and to vote for a new Central Committee which reflects the type of movement you want to be a part of - this is your chance to shape the direction of YesCymru for the better and we wish the new Central Committee every success.”
- For more information on the EGM please contact [email protected] Members looking to access information or have enquiries about their membership should contact [email protected]
- The outgoing Central Committee and YesCymru staff will be making no further comment at this time.
YesCymru provides the Independence Library to encourage further discussion on matters relating to Welsh Independence. The views expressed are those of the authors and/or original publisher, and their appearance in the Independence Library does not imply an endorsement by YesCymru of the content or any entity represented therein. All content from third party websites is provided "as is", with no guarantee of completeness or accuracy.
Do you like this page?