A fantastic opportunity to join the team at Yes Cymru. Yes Cymru promotes independence for Wales through a range of activities, to make the case that Wales, like so many other nations throughout the world, would be better running its own affairs, as part of a wider European and international family.
The Chief Executive Officer is responsible for developing strategic plans and annual budgets for Board approval and providing effective leadership to support employees and members to achieve the goal of Welsh independence through non-partisan campaigning.
The successful applicant will play a key role in the growth and development of YesCymru’s membership as well as team and capacity building within YesCymru’s Group structure.
Duties & Responsibilities
This role is responsible for providing high quality leadership for Yes Cymru and will be hands-on in managing the day-to-day operations of the organsiation. The role will develop and implement systems and processes that take the organisation to the next level and is expected to significantly influence the independence debate in Wales and Wales’s constitutional future.
A key element of this role is effective communication, both internally with the Board, employees and members but also externally as an advocate for Welsh independence with a mandate to increase membership in both numbers and diversity. Networking with other pro-independence organsiations and establishing and building relationships with individuals and organisations who have the knowledge, skills and influence to achieve that mission.
· Advise and support the Board to establish and maintain an effective organisation strategy and governance framework that delivers Yes Cymru’s mission, building membership of the organisation and support for Welsh independence from all demographics.
· Lead the organisation and provide clear direction to employees, volunteers and members to create and maintain an effective organisational culture, safe working and performance focused environment, working with them to provide clarity on how their work delivers the strategic aims.
· Be an ambassador for Yes Cymru, representing the organisation at external events, networking and maximising publicity opportunities and building relationships, both internally and externally, to advance the aims of the organisation.
· Establish suitable systems and processes to gather and review feedback from employees, members and other external sources to inform future strategy and decisions.
· Establish and maintain effective and efficient operating standards, policies, processes and practices that meet the needs of the organisation, employees and members, always working within these to lead by example.
· Maintain financial strength and capacity for growth to ensure a sustainable income, achieving a surplus where possible and managing expenditure effectively.
· Ensure compliance with all legal, statutory and regulatory requirements, minimising and effectively managing risk, providing high quality reports and data submissions within appropriate timescales.
What you can expect:
- 33 Days Holiday per annum – Pro Rata inclusive of Bank holidays
- Company Pension scheme 5% contribution
- A salary of £47,000.00 per year
- Work From Home – Flexible hours although there will be a requirement to attend scheduled events / meetings.
The successful applicant will need to demonstrate qualifications, training or experience in the following areas:
- Degree, management qualification or relevant professional qualification or knowledge and ability at an equivalent level
- Proven experience of effective leadership within a membership, campaigning, advocacy or similar not for profit organisation
- Proven track record of demonstrating business and financial acumen, developing social enterprise activities and achieving results, including growth and surplus
- Proven experience in effective people management and development, managing employee relations issues in line with legal requirements and good practice
- Confident and accomplished presenter, communicator, influencer and advocate to a range of audiences at all levels in a variety of ways, including the press and social media, both in person and remotely
- A good level of PC literacy, with the ability to extract and interrogate data from computer systems and use email as well as Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience of working effectively with Boards and Committees, some of whom are volunteers
- Experience of working in a similar role where political campaigning and independence was the primary focus